24 May Do You Need a Furnace or Heating Repair Company in Warrenville?
Most homeowners do not know what to expect when calling in a furnace or heating system repair professional, especially if this is the first time they are having issues with their heating. In this article, we’re going to cover some of the common questions and concerns that Warrenville homeowners have when their furnace or heating system needs repairs.
What Are the Warning Signs?
There are some obvious signs that your furnace or heating system is not working, such as it failing to turn on or produce warm air, but there are also some signs that are more subtle. If you are able to catch one of these latter signs in their early stages, you might be able to get off on a lighter repair bill, and even prevent a complete system breakdown. Here are some of the signs to keep an eye out for:
- The system produces lukewarm air.
- The airflow coming out of the vents is restricted.
- The system is having a hard time maintaining the selected temperature.
- The system turns on and off by itself on a regular basis. This is also known as short cycling.
- Unexpected, strange noises during heating.
- Higher heating bills than normal.
Before Calling a Warrenville Furnace or Heating Repairman
Some issues do not require the help of a professional. See if you can troubleshoot the problem before giving your repairman a call:
- Make sure that your thermostat is on, and that you have it set to heating mode. Also, check to see if the temperature on the thermostat is a few degrees higher than the actual room temperature.
- Check your home’s circuit breaker panel to see if the heating equipment has power.
- Check the air filter, and if it is dirty or clogged up, change it.
If the issue is still not solved, you may have one of these common problems:
- Broken flame sensors
- Faulty blower motor
- Dirty burners
- Faulty thermostat
- Broken ignitors
Furnace and Heating Prevention Measures
In order to protect your system from further breakdowns, it’s important to perform preventative maintenance once or twice a year. These can be DIY projects, but it is recommended that you hire a professional for regular maintenance tune-ups. If you skip the tune-ups, you run the risk of your heating system operating at a reduced capacity, running up your heating bill, and having a higher chance of a breakdown. Besides maintenance, you’ll also want to regularly check the furnace filters and replace them if they are dirty or clogged up.
Warrenville Furnace and Heating Replacement or Repair?
There are situations when outright replacing a heating system is a better investment in the long run. If the repair bill seems particularly expensive this year, it might be worth it to replace the entire system. Here are some of the situations where replacing trumps repairing:
- If your system is around 15 years old, it’s best to replace it. The service life of a furnace is around 15 years.
- If the repair bill is more than half of the cost of a replacement system.
Can This Be a DIY Project?
The short answer is no—heating repair should not be a DIY project. It is recommended that you hire a heating and air conditioning contractor in Warrenville. There are several reasons for this:
- It could be illegal – performing repairs on a natural gas-powered heating system such as a boiler or a furnace is illegal in most jurisdictions if you are not legally sanctioned and licensed.
- It is not safe – when dealing with natural gas systems, you risk causing safety hazards such as carbon monoxide leaks or out of control combustion.
- The problems are hard to diagnose – even if the problem seems like something that would be easy to solve, based on the outward symptoms, it is still hard to determine the actual cause of the problem.
If you would like to hire a professional contractor to repair your furnace or heating system in Warrenville, contact Elite Air today for a free estimate!